Friday, March 23, 2012

Once more into the fray…



Just watched The Grey, a film based on the short story Ghost Walker by Ian MacKenzie Jeffers. Heard mixed reviews about the film from friends and colleagues, but had to watch it myself, after all Liam Neeson is there and you know he is Mr. Oskar Schindler, Qui-Gon Jinn, Ra's al Ghul and one of my favorite actor.

This was my kind of a film, survival thriller and I liked it in some twisted sort of way and I think you should watch it too. Some may say the film have exaggerated emotional scenes, some may say they portrayed those grey's way to violent, but the film is about a man’s struggle to keep himself alive from himself. Liam Neeson portrayed the role to its perfection, just like he always does. Films are such a wonderful form of art, you can relate your life’s events to it, so the liking or disliking of this film will completely depend on how you can relate to it, how your life’s events were. To me the best part was the last conversation between Ottway (Liam Neeson), Diaz (Frank Grillo) and Hendrick (Dallas Roberts), where they finally reveal their first name to each other, brothers in arms.

Once more into the fray…
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day…
Live and die on this day…

One of the strongest parts of the film was its score composed by Marc Streitenfeld. It just adds another dimension to the film and proves yet again how powerful music can be. The score evokes a sense of isolation, but a sense of loss and dread as well. Though the piece I liked was The City Surf by Jamin Winans which was originally composed for Ink, a 2009 science fiction fantasy film. The score will remind you of John Murphy’s Sunshine.

Now to the environmentalists and animal activists aka hippies, shut the fuck up you morons and stop whining about how the film depicts grey wolves in a negative light. I love animals and I know they are endangered but instead of going after a film, target those who are actually responsible for their endangerment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was "The A-team" the only break in his recent career?

Rajiv said...

Think so... By the way The Grey is from the same director, Joe Carnahan.

My Learnings

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. - Robert Frost Such is life. - Winston, John Wick I always s...